I love cinnamon buns. With a passion. I think most Swedish people do, it’s in our blood. No “fika” (cup of coffee and cake which can be taken any time of day) is complete without it. I like to eat mine with a cold glass of strawberry lemonade but the tradition calls for eating it still a little warm with an ice cold glass of milk.
When it comes to cinnamon buns too much is always right. I like adding cardamom to both the dough and the filling. A good tip too is to make more filling, the more is always better! In my home we also like adding raisins to the filling, it really adds a wonderful flavour. You can also add anything from blueberries to custard or chocolate. Anything goes once you’ve mastered the dough, which is surprisingly simple to make!
This is a great recipe for these sweet little buns from Swedish Food, a great source for Swedish recipes!!
Makes: 12 buns
Time needed: 45 minutes (+ 2 hours rising time)
For the Dough
250 ml whole milk
100 g salted butter
500 g white flour
½ tsp ground cardamom
50 g caster sugar
1 tsp salt
7 g instant yeast
150 g light brown sugar (but normal sugar works well too!
3 tbsp ground cinnamon
2 tbsp ground cardamom
100g very soft butter
1 egg, lightly beaten
1. To make the dough, place milk and butter into a saucepan over medium/low heat and cook until the butter has melted. Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly and, once lukewarm, mix in the egg.
2. Place the flour, cardamom, sugar and salt into a large bowl and mix together.
3. Add the dried yeast and mix thoroughly.
4. Add the liquid mixture and mix to form a rough dough. Tip out onto the worksurface and knead for 5-10 minutes until the dough is smooth and elastic.
5. Place the dough in a clean bowl and cover with cling film or a kitchen towel. Place somewhere warm and allow to rise until doubled in size (takes about an hour).
6. Line two baking trays with parchment paper and set aside. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured worksurface, flatten into a rough rectangle and then roll out until approximately 25 cm x 35 cm (10” x 14”).
7. For the filling mix the sugar, cinnamon and butter together to form a smooth paste. Using a spatula or spoon, spread the filling evenly across the dough.
8. Roll the dough along the long edge into a sausage. Using a serrated knife, cut into twelve rounds. Place on to prepared baking trays and cover with a kitchen towel. Allow to rise until almost doubled (about 45-60 minutes).
9. Whilst proving, preheat the oven to 180°C (360°F, gas 4, fan 160°C). When ready to bake, brush the buns with a little beaten egg and sprinkle with pearl sugar, then bake in the preheated oven for about 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
10. Your cinnamon buns are ready to be served and enjoyed!